Friday, November 27, 2015

MicroTeaching I Self Reflection




            Overall I thought that my first microteaching went well, and that once I started to teach the lesson I became less nervous and more comfortable. After watching the video, I thought that my audience participated and was engaged in the activity. Some of the students asked questions, and shared their answers at the end. An area of weakness is that I didn’t have a big opening hook to draw the students in. I could have done more to grab the student’s attention in the beginning.
            My objective for the class was to have them fill out the worksheet with the new vocabulary and grammar rules that they learned. At the end of the lesson the students took time to fill out the worksheet and they shared when I asked them. The evidence of my objective being met was the worksheets that I collected for a participation grade. I think that every student was able to meet the objective because the material was very clear in the power point. If a few of the students did not meet the objective, it was because they didn’t take notes on the power point while I was teaching. I wanted the students to follow along and take notes on the power point, so I could tell if they were paying attention.
            I learned that I am more comfortable teaching up in front of students than I thought I would be. Right from the beginning of the lesson, I was relaxed and was able to feel comfortable with the students. I called the students by their names to make them feel comfortable, and I think this made them want to share with me and with the class as well. I planned the power point and material specifically for this lesson, and I think that I will be very particular with details and lesson planning in the future. My goal for the students was for them to learn basic Spanish vocabulary and have them try to absorb as much as they could in a fun and interesting way. The lesson was personalized as well, so they could be more engaged, writing about themselves.

            In the future, I think I will look back on this experience and see that the best way to do have successful lessons, is to plan every detail and be comfortable with the students. The first time teaching in front of other people was nerve-wracking, but I think that my nerves made me be more precise and pay attention to detail. I was more organized, and I think that I will continue to be organized with unit and lesson plans in the future. I will definitely try to find ways to grab the student’s attention more as well, because that was something that I failed to do in microteaching I. I hope that I will continue to have positive experiences like I had teaching this first lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment